Case Study: New Product

There are different phases of the user-centered design process; each projects situation varies. Some cases, the research phase is not there due to time and budget. In this case, there is time. The business goal is to create a section on the company internet that houses tasks for new hires. I worked with a Business Analysis and several teams to gather and collect information about new hires.

 

Step 1: Stakeholder Interview (IT Call Center)

We met with the stakeholder and asked as many questions as possible. Understanding their process is key, as well as their needs. They have resources to data that is needed for us to understand the new hires better. The ticketing platform, Service Now, housed a lot of information regarding new hires.

 

Step 2: Pull Data from Analytics (Service Now) 

Service Now housed the data on New Hires, we requested access and surfed the data; excluding all employees except the ones hired within the last 90 days. We found out demographics and on-boarding requests. This number was calculated by the stakeholder, as they are more familiar with rotations of hire dates and the current on-boarding process, which was minimal and not organized.

 

Pulled Data in Service Now (demographics)

Note: service tickets requested by 168 new hires within the last 90 days.

 

Pulled Data in Service Now (on-boarding requests)

Step 3: Pull Data from Analytics (Google/Survey) 

As we work through the data, we realize there is more information we need on new hires, such as age and interests. We created a survey with a series of question-related to new hires; we used the list of names we had received from the service desk (based on calls from the last 90 days). Gathering data from Google Analytics was also essential to find out what users searched on the company intranet. The goal with the analytics was to identify keywords being searched and find same like categories to match what we pulled from Service Now. 

 

Survey Questions

(What motivates you to engage in a new activity, group or conversation?)

 

Survey Results (age and gender)

Note: 58 out of 85 new hires responded to the survey.

 

Survey Results (Type of Employee)

Note: Service tickets requested by 168 new hires within the las 90 days.

 

Google Analytics Results (terms searched)

 

Step 4: What Defines a New Hire? (Persona/Profiles)

As a result of the data pulled, we had enough information collected to create a persona for new hires; along with four profiles to understand four sets of behaviors. They are diverse in age and match the ratio per gender.

 

 

Step 5: Understanding What We Know (Affinity Mapping)

To get buy-in from the team, and help advocate for user experience; we had a brainstorming workshop. It included myself, business analyst, developers, and project manager. Each team member had a sharpie and posted it notes. We all contributed to what we knew about new hires and our own experience with on-boarding. We each wrote out terms that related to the new hires and placed them on a whiteboard. Once we finished, we removed the duplicates and grouped them in categories. The names could be a task, subject, name, and topic.

 

Affinity Mapping (grouped categories)

 

Step 5: Understanding User Behaviors/Perceptions (Card Sorting/Usability Tests)

Since we had data, personas, and insight into the business goal, we used the information to conduct user research; several methods were used such as card sorting, user testing and interviews. 

 

Optimal Workshop (online card sorting)

 

Usability Tests (user testing and interviews)

 

Card Sorting (after usability tests)

 

Step 6: Create Wireframes based off of Research

After having collected both qualitative and quantitative data, wireframes were created based off of assumptions.

 

Initial Wireframes (based off research)

 

Step 7: Create Rapid Iterations (A/B Testing)

Receiving initial feedback was high, which led to rapid iterations and A/B testing over a three day period. The screening took place in the central area where employees hang out.

 

A/B Testing (user environment)

 

Step 8: Present Findings and Concepts to Stakeholder

The steps above happened over a months time, collecting data, research and wireframes. At the end of the month, findings and a presentation was given to the stakeholder for review. The end result was moving the project to another CMS platform; making it easier for end users and administrators.

 

User Research (presentation)